Monday, March 2, 2009

Overcoming Acedia


I can’t believe I have finally joined the blogosphere. You might be wondering about the title of my blog – “Overcoming Acedia.” I was reading a book review of Overcoming Acedia, by Kathleen Norris. Kathleen Norris resides, certain times of the year, in a family home in Lemmon, SD. I have read two of her other books, Dakota and The Cloister Walk. Maybe you have read them as well? In Overcoming Acedia she talks about her husband passing away and getting much of his medical treatment in Bismarck, ND (which is, Lord willing, where NPEA is going to plant their next church in the fall of 2012).That gives you a little background.
Now back to the title of this blog. Acedia, what is that? Standard dictionary definitions include: “apathy,” “boredom,” or “torpor” (I would have to look that word up). I personally prefer the Greek root, which means “absence of care.” Our modern definitions of the word seem quite shallow, compared to the historical definitions which are more pregnant with meaning.
In the late 19th century, psychiatrists were defining acedia as a mental condition of sadness, mental confusion and apathy, bitterness of spirit, loss of liveliness and utter despair. Acedia oftentimes seems to set in motion a cycle of self-defeating thoughts. It also could be strongly linked to physical and spiritual laziness. Not to get bogged down in definitions, let’s turn to why Overcoming Acedia has become the title of my blog.
As I travel the country and speak in many churches and visit with many people in God’s Kingdom, I see acedia way too often. I have become concerned by the lack of commitment and caring among God’s people: preachers, elders, deacons, and the rest of the Christians sitting in the pews. What has frightened me even more is that I am not immune! My own selfishness has from time to time infected my soul as well, to the point where I lift my hands in the air as my mind says, “Who cares?” Acedia in God’s people, and at times in my own heart, has reached epidemic proportions. We could quarantine it, but that would simply be putting a bandage on a wound where cure is needed. We must overcome acedia!Jesus was anti-acedic! We must follow His example.
This blog will address all aspects of life and how we can join forces in overcoming acedia on a personal level.
This blog will address church life and how we need to identify apathy in the body and once again overcome it.
This blog will address church planting and the need to overcome the laziness that we observe in many of God’s people concerning a practise He mandated.
Jesus was anti-acedic. Our goal is to become like Him. We will be on this journey together so we can look in the mirror and eventually see the face of God. Come enjoy the journey with me!

2 comments:

  1. Nice to see a blog from you, I look forward to your comments on "Overcoming Acedia" in the future. As you travel and now added one more time eater to your task I pray that God will give you the time you need to complete the tasks he has given you. God Bless, Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks I hope these can be beneficial for all who read! I appreciate you comments and honest reactions to anything that I might write, God Bless!!

    ReplyDelete