Monday, December 31, 2012

What’s Love Got To Do With It?

 In my prayer journal I pray twice a month that I would understand and experience the love of God so that I can love God more intimately and also His creation (His people). I believe it is every believer’s goal to learn how to love God and love people (the Greatest Commandment) with a greater understanding and internationalism. It is one of those mysteries that I have not yet mastered and continue to struggle with at times.

I spent last year studying the Torah as part of my quite time. On September 25th I was fascinated about the reading and as a result the pondering I did involving the love of God in my heart. Three times the Torah asks us to love: twice in Leviticus (19:18,34), we are commanded to love human beings; then, in Deuteronomy, our love is directed toward God. “Only after we have learned to love people can we come to love God.” ~ Chasidic

However, it seems to me that a man/woman cannot love God as he/she loves another human being. The love of God involves a holy fear or reverence (Deut. 6:13) which in my mind impossible to achieve toward another human being. Love expresses itself in that devoted and single minded loyalty which issues itself in wholehearted and obedient service to God. “The love of God without obedience is not love.” ~ G.E. Wright

Even more so will the lovers of God experience this constant obsession in their hearts, as we are bidden to love "with all our hearts and with all our souls.  As Solomon expressed allegorically "I am love sick" (Song of Songs 5:8); the entire Song of Songs is, in fact, an allegorical expression of this love.” ~ Mamonides I have to admit that I am not “love sick” with God near as often as I should be.

Of course, love cannot be commanded. No third party can command it or extort it. No third party can, but The One can. The commandment to love can only proceed from the mouth of the Lover. Only the Lover can and does say: love me! And He really does so. In His mouth the commandment to love is not a strange commandment; it is none other than the voice of love itself. “The love of the Lover has, in fact, no word to express itself other than the commandment." ~ F. Rosenzweig

While we were yet sinners Christ died of us. The ultimate expression of “Love” in the New Testament. It is my desire of all of us that we would fall more deeply in love with our Father this year. As we absorb His love into every single pore of our being it will be such a miraculous experience! The result from this experience will be for that love to leave every pore of our body and attach itself to our lost and dying world which will lead to an attraction to the Lover Himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment